Windows 8.1 is now available for you folks to download and upgrade, but you must have Windows 8 already installed before you can get it for free. The upgrade process went smoothly for me, and I think it did take its time in doing so. Everything is now back up and running like a clockwork. There is this exception though, some Windows 8 software/apps will fail to work with Windows 8.1. For one example, I’m using Steinberg’s Triebwerk VST, and this very VST is failing to work with Windows 8.1. Steinberg’s Triebwerk VST uses the eLicenser.net’s software to validate the license key, and eLicenser.net’s software is also failing to work correctly, locking me out of Triebwerk altogether. Luckily, Windows 8.1, just like Windows 8, does allow users to switch the software compatibility mode. To fix the Steinberg’s Triebwerk VST problem, I just located the Triebwerk’s .exe file and opened its property dialog box, selected the Compatibility tab, selected the Windows 8 in the pull down menu form, checked “Run this program in compatibility mode for” box, and clicked the Apply button. After the compatibility fix, Steinberg’s Triebwerk VST is now working beautifully again. Of course, I had to use the compatibility fix for eLicenser.net’s software in the same manner before Steinberg’s Triebwerk VST would work again.
To sum it all up, if you feel scare in upgrading to Windows 8.1 for the reason of your software might not work with Windows 8.1, then I think you should wait till you have enough confidence of doing the Windows 8.1 upgrade. Nonetheless, I think some of your Windows 8 software will not complain when you run them in Windows 8.1’s Windows 8 compatibility mode. Still, it’s best to be paranoid about the safety of your computer, otherwise you might regret and have to do a roll back to Windows 8. That would suck for real! For me, I’m happy that my software are working fine under Windows 8.1. Now, it’s time for me to take a look around to see what are new about Windows 8.1.
- Windows 8 moves to BIOS-based product keys (reviews.cnet.com)
- Windows 8.1 Is Now Available (geekoholics.com)
- Windows 8.1 General Availability: The IT Pro Perspective (blogs.windows.com)
- Windows 8.1: One Vision, One Platform For Everything You Do At Work (myveda.wordpress.com)
- Windows 8.1 First Impressions (velkrokronicles.wordpress.com)
- Windows 8.1 Released & Available for Download (epicagear.com)
- Ease into Windows 8 with My Passport Enterprise portable drive (reviews.cnet.com)
- Windows 8.1 Update Now Available (technobuffalo.com)
- Review: Windows 8.1 improves, but far from perfect (sacbee.com)
- Windows 8.1 now available to download (theverge.com)
- Windows 8.1 is now available for download from the Windows Store (forums.pinstack.com)