SOPA and PIPA are retreating, but something else much worse is on the rise? Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) is something I have only heard just now by reading Forbes’ If You Thought SOPA Was Bad, Just Wait Until You Meet ACTA article and watching YouTube’s What is ACTA? video. The article and video have successfully convinced me ACTA might be worse than SOPA and PIPA. Check out the videos right after the break to know more about ACTA!
You might want to check out Wikipedia’s Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement article to know more about ACTA.
Personally, I think SOPA, PIPA, and ACTA might not be effective against the things these bills want to address. Instead, these bills might bring about inadvertent effects that would be detrimental to many constructive, current and future innovations. Especially ACTA, because this treaty tries to address not one but many industries at the same time. For better or worse, such a broad language of a treaty might effectively change how many industries would behave (i.e., each industry might work differently). Of course, the Internet might be one of those industries that breaks under the pressure of ACTA.
Personal note: Come to think of it, the Internet has been an important vehicle which helps the spreading of ideas and knowledge. I don’t think it’s wise to stop the Internet from helping to spread ideas and knowledge. Why? People want to be heard, to share, and to know more. Is it wise to go against the will of so many people? Is it wise to stop the advancing of modern civilization?
- Now Its ACTA (wakeuporkney.wordpress.com)
- ACTA Will Be SOPA/PIPA Alternative (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- ACTA Will Be SOPA/PIPA Alternative (euzicasa.wordpress.com)
- New Petition to White House To End ACTA Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (copyrightlitigation.blogspot.com)
- The Global Assault on The Internet – With SOPA/PIPA shelved it’s ACTA we need to worry about! (toodamnez.wordpress.com)
- World War Web Advisory #2: We Must Stop ACTA (the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement) (amerikanreich.com)
- World War Web Advisory #2: We Must Stop ACTA (the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement) (corporatecriminalsexposed.com)
- After SOPA and PIPA, here comes ACTA (100gf.wordpress.com)
- ACTA Will Be SOPA/PIPA Alternative (platopress.com)
- SOPA and PIPA Shelved But Is ACTA Unstoppable? (i-programmer.info)
- SOPA, ACTA and the end of the Internet (shawnmwilson.com)
- White House petition to end support for ACTA (boingboing.net)
- Awesome YouTube Video Explains Why PIPA And SOPA Are Bad For The Internet Users; You Should Be Watching (essayboard.com)
- Exclusive Google+/YouTube Interview With President Obama (techfleece.com)
- STRIKE Against SOPA, PIPA and ACTA (csltm.wordpress.com)
- Ron Paul: Preserve the Internet, Down with SOPA (mountainrepublic.net)
- The Day the Internet Died (jelastic.com)