Couple weeks back, Google announced that it will shut down Google Reader. This is a bad news for whoever that relies on Google Reader a lot. In my case, I do rely on Google Reader quite often as it is one of the best ways, if not the best way, to allow me to follow up day to day events around the world and here at home (USA). Especially, I do really rely on Google Reader to pull in technology RSS feeds. Unfortunately, just like everyone else, I was frantically looking around for a good alternative to Google Reader. Luckily, I found Feedly!
Before I found Feedly, I was looking at ManagingNews software which you could download for free and install onto a Linux server/machine. Unfortunately, at this point in time, ManagingNews 1.2, the latest version, relies on an older Drupal version which contains bugs that have not yet been patched; these bugs might lead to computer security issue in the long run. Of course, if one is to host ManagingNews for the Internet population, do expect to be hacked as ManagingNews has yet to be patched or updated with a more secure version. With ManagingNews outdated version, I now turn to Feedly for good.
Feedly is definitely easy to use and intuitive in terms of adding RSS sources (to allow the importation of RSS feeds) and removing them. Need more proof? Check out the video right after the break and you would see me messing around with Feedly, in joy. Enjoy!!!
- Google Reader news forces FeedDemon to shutter, too (reviews.cnet.com)
- Transitioning From Google Reader To Feedly (futurelawyer.typepad.com)
- Feedly as a Google Reader alternative (dominictyer.wordpress.com)
- So Long Google Reader… Hello Feedly! (musingsofamildmanneredman.com)
- Feedly’s User Base Surges Following Google Reader Shutdown (on.aol.com)
- 3 Great Alternatives to Google Reader (techtalk.currys.co.uk)
- 8 Google Reader alternatives for your PC (reviews.cnet.com)
- Feedly picks up over 500,000 Google Reader defectors (engadget.com)
- How Feedly fills Google Reader gap (billbennett.co.nz)
- Who Needs Google Reader: feedly. feed your mind. (icemanbaldy.com)