They said dream big and big dream will come true. Hmm… sometimes it would become true, but most often it would not. Nonetheless, we had dreamed big and we landed on the moon. We had dreamed big and we had amazing technology such as fuel cell. Scientists at Sharp are dreaming big and they want to develop 3D technology that will render 3D images that look exactly like real life images. As now, this possibility is still in the realm of science fiction, but I guess when there are big dreams, some big dreams do come true!!! Check out the video right after the break on Sharp’s real-life holodeck big dream.
Afterthought: If this technology will become real one day, I think human actors and actresses will become less relevant. After all, they can just create digital actors and actresses that look just like the real ones and without the expenses and headaches that might come with real actors and actresses. Nonetheless, I don’t think any actor or actress should lose sleep over this kind of technology just yet since they said it will be decades more before something like this might be achievable. Plus, big dreams have had often disappointed big dreamers. Everything is up in the air really. Besides making movies, I think real-life holodeck will have a lot potential for wide variety of applications. One example would be awesome real-life 3D telecommunication.
- The 3D journey: Inventing a real-life holodeck (adafruit.com)
- 3D Video Will Be ‘As Good As Reality’ In 40 Years (huffingtonpost.co.uk)
- First We Fix 3D, Then We Get Our Holodeck [Video] (kotaku.com)
- 3D images that are ‘indistinguishable from reality’ could be just 40 years away (theverge.com)
- where do the people and/or robots or whatever go when the holodeck is ‘off’? (aersixb9x.wordpress.com)