Mobile users who travel the world know Airplane Mode could potentially save their bank accounts from depleting. Mobile users who aren’t travel the world probably never have had to activate Airplane Mode before, and these folks might not know what is Airplane Mode. These are the folks who might see their bank accounts deplete without knowing why when they travel abroad.
It’s all about the roaming charges. What Airplane Mode does is to prevent Cellular Data from working even though Cellular Data setting is still on. Without a working Cellular Data, users who use Airplane Mode can turn on Wi-Fi to access the web without worrying about roaming charges. Wi-Fi is local or I should say it’s local to the party that allows the usage of Wi-Fi connection.
Mobile users who travel less can still turn on Airplane Mode so they don’t have to use up their data plan. When these folks are out of Wi-Fi range, they can turn off Airplane Mode and their Cellular Data will resume the responsibility. You can correct me if I’m wrong, I think I’d heard somewhere that certain smartphones can drain battery fast if 3G connection is on. I’m not sure by turning on Airplane Mode will actually save battery, but it is worth a try.
In summary, before you get on the airplane to travel the world, you should turn on Airplane Mode. With Airplane Mode, you don’t have to worry about accidental roaming charges. With Airplane Mode on, you can still turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections. Wi-Fi is local, therefore roaming charges aren’t possible. It might be possible that Airplane Mode could allow battery to be charged less. So go Airplane Mode when you travel the world, OK?
- News on iPhone 4S (phonesreview.co.uk)
- Tell Obama That Your Phone’s ‘Airplane Mode’ Should Be Allowed On Airplanes All The Time (businessinsider.com)
- Opinion: Siri features we’d like to see (macworld.com)
- 1TapSettings – Direct access to iOS Settings – Bluetooth, WI-FI, … (themactrack.com)
- Alec Baldwin Learns the Hard Way Not to Use ‘Airplane Mode’ on an Airplane (blogs.wsj.com)
- Suggestion For Apple and Other Smartphone Makers (mikeshinoda.com)
- Here’s How To Get Useful iPhone Home Screen Widgets Like Airplane Mode And Brightness Settings (businessinsider.com)
- Details of republic wireless’ $19/mth “Unlimited Everything” Service (with short Q&A) (robinmonks.com)
- Page Plus Cellular Lowers Price of Unlimited Plan (prnewswire.com)
- The Best Android Apps for Boosting Battery Life (pcworld.com)
- It’s Called ‘Airplane Mode’ for a Reason (bits.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Overheard on CNN.com: Baldwin’s refusal to turn off cell phone no surprise to many (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- Nerds Bravely Fight for iPad Airplane Rights [Travel] (gawker.com)