Xbox 360, the latest version of 2010, or even older versions has one big problem for users/gamers who want to send the digital audio out to receivers or console mixer (i.e., Yamaha console mixer) and at the same time using HDMI to send digital images to HD TV, because Xbox 360 HDMI port and optical port are too closely placed together — plus the optical cable’s end which is supposing to be hooked up to the Xbox 360′s optical port has a protruding part which prevents optical cable and HDMI cable to be plugged in at the same time. Fortunately, there is a hack to this, but remember you are doing this at your own risk. By removing the plastic covers of the optical cable, you can plug the slimmest part which is the belly part of the optical cable into Xbox 360 at the same time with HDMI cable since the protruding part of the optical cable is gone right after the removal of the plastic covers.
I had read somewhere on the Internet, and I saw somebody wrote that if you’re not grounding yourself, you may send a strong enough static flow to the Xbox 360 by touching the unprotected end of the optical cable, and by doing this you may destroy your Xbox 360 (i.e., your Xbox 360 may not be able to work afterward). Once again, be extremely careful since I do not know the effect of removing the plastic covers of the optical cable. Nonetheless, the hack is working if you know where the red and white ends of the optical cable supposed to go so the digital audio can be channeled to the external speakers and not to your TV’s speakers.
The HDMI cable part is extremely simple as you only have to plug the HDMI cable to the HDMI port on your TV, and the other end of the HDMI cable to your Xbox 360′s HDMI port. Anyway, check out the video after the jump to see how you can remove the plastic covers off the optical cable.
The video above is not mine, it’s belong to a user who had uploaded it to YouTube. Please go to YouTube to know more about the source of the video. Thank you for your understanding.
- Divert Home Theater Wires to Run Behind Your Walls With This Attractive Wall Plate Insert (smarthome.com)
- Audio & Video Connector Guide (blastrix.wordpress.com)
- Connect All of Your Audio Video Components and Extend Over Multi-Mode Fiber Optic Cable up to 1000 Meters (smarthome.com)
- All You Need to Know About HDMI Cables (yepthatsme.com)
- HBO Go for Xbox 360 unavailable to Comcast and Time Warner Cable subscribers (theverge.com)
- Check the Working Condition of your HDMI Cables Before Installation (smarthome.com)
- Why you don’t need to waste your money on expensive HDMI cables (ukcredit.com)
- Audio of HDMI-cable in DAW usage…? (gearslutz.com)
- Ok comparing digital cables & omg!big difference! (gearslutz.com)
- Review: Tritton Primer Wireless Headset (Xbox 360) (multiplayerblog.mtv.com)